Skip to main content

LAST WISH..!!!!!
“It would be really interesting to see who might be able to woo her with hisproposal” said the girl in red scarf. 
It was Feb 14. The young crowd at the Calmer circle were in all red and mood of the day. The girl wearing the white gown and Margaret hat stood with an amalgam of confusion, anxiety and smile in front of two guys who were on their knees. Both had their right hand protruded towards the girl. Their left hand on their chest, they were all set to confess and propose their love.

“Last night you came in my dream. You were desperately asking me to show you the way to the world of happiness. Before I could reply, you disappeared”, the man in white shirt posed a smile and continued.

"Now all that I want to say to you is that, you are standing right in front of the door of happiness. If you let me, can I drop its key around your ring finger” and he drove the yellow metal ring through her finger. The white stones sparkled under the bright sun. She started blushing. Dimples on her cheeks amplified her beauty.

“That’s a lovely proposal, wow..!!!” cheered the young crowd. “And a lovely ring too” added few girls staring at the ring.

He started beaming with pride and joy. His chest swell and he gave a victorious look to the man in black coat. 

“Let’s see what he has in his store” someone murmured. The girl looked at the man in black coat. He looked into her eyes. Their eyes met. He held her left hand with his. He slowly moved his right hand over her left. With their eyes still looking at each other he said slowly “your eyes has the charm that can churn out love even in the hardest rock, your voice casts a magical spell with every word it speaks”. He paused for a moment, then smiled and continued.
If magic is what you are, then let me be the magician” said he and moved his right hand swiftly over her fingers. The ring on her finger disappeared. All eyes surprised, stared at his right hand. He waved his empty hand. The crowd looked amazed.
His eyes still locked with her, he waved his right hand in air. “If love is what you are then let me treasure you in my heart” saying this he briskly moved his right hand towards her. From nowhere a red rose appeared in his hand, “I am in love with you and will always be. Do you feel the same?” he asked and thrust the rose towards her. People were taken aback by his astonishing magic. “The proposal was magical” exclaimed the crowd.
The girl waited for the cheer from the crowd to die down. “I am yours Joh..!! Love you” said she with an enigmatic smile.  


20 years later………..

“Keeping in mind prima facie evidence and the strong material evidence, and disinterest shown by the accused to defend himself, the court of Orgiana here by finds Johansson Reeves guilty of murdering Mrs. Clara Reeves”. Huge silence loomed in the court room. The judge raised his spectacles and continued. “The court thereby orders that Mr. Johansson Reeves be hanged till death.” The judge pronounced his verdict.
Johansson didn’t move nor did he show any signs of emotion. He narrowed his eyes, raised his eye brows and posed a smile at the judge. The judge stiffened his face.

*******************************************************************




Johansson was right in front of the noose. The hangman stood with a black cloth, all set to drop it around the convict’s face.

The justice stepped forward.

“As has been the custom of Orgiana, the court wants to know the last wish of the convict, if any” the judge frowned and waited for Johansson’s reply.

Johansson stared his toes. He held his breath for some time, clenched his lips, took a deep breath and then looked at the judge. “Yeah, I have. I do have a last wish of mine to be fulfilled.” He said.

“Court would be pleased to hear and will try to fulfill it”.

After a brief pause, Johansson put up a smile and said “all through the trial I stayed silent. Not because I didn’t know what to speak. But I knew that no ear would listen to me. All evidences against me were so strong that even if I spoke the truth, it would have fallen on deaf ears. So I have reserved best of my words to share with a special person just moments before I die”.  He looked into the judge’s eyes and smiled at the cop besides him.

“Nice pistol, officer. Valessa .25 isn’t it, with a magazine of 8 rounds..!! It looks new and beautiful..!!” he said to the cop. The officer adjusted his holster. “And this handcuff on hands of mine, this looks new too. I can read it, it’s manufactured by Swivella links. This must be definitely strong” he acted as if trying to break the handcuff by pulling it apart. He laughed. 

“So Mr. Reeves can we hear those reserved words of yours, instead of your knowledge on the department’s arms. If you please” said judge impatiently.

“Oops!! Sorry for that my lord. I didn’t know that law of Origiana doesn’t permit a convict to show case his knowledge in his dying moments. I duly apologize. Hmmm now, if I say that I wish to have a private chat with you, you my lord; would that wish be fulfilled??” he asked.

“You are not serious, are you?”

“I am very much serious your highness. When a man is about to cease to be existing, he will be nothing less than grave serious; is what my assumption is. Am I right, you dutiful citizens of Origiana...?” he laughed posing a questioning look.

The judge looked at the chief detective who was then investigating officer in Johansson’s case. He signaled him not to yield.

“I am afraid. Your wish cannot be fulfilled, citing my security reasons. You have some other wishes Mr. Johansson??”

“You are insulting the Origiana Police in public, my lord. I have always believed that they are equally good as the Scotland Yard’s are. Look, my hands are hand cuffed behind, no arms in my attire, I am nothing short of being harmless. Look at these cops, their honor is in your hands, don’t face their ire and carry out this poor man’s last wish “, he said half teasingly.

And he continued, “more importantly don’t you think we must really have a last word with each other. Both of us know how badly we would want to share a word. Right??” he asked mysteriously. 

None understood what he meant.

“All right..!!Officer, check his cloths and body for any potential weapons. And check if his hand cuffs are locked properly. And give me your pistol officer. Just, in case I need it”. He took the Valessa .25 pistol from the officer and hid it under his coat.

“I will be in 14A, send him in” he said looking sharply at Johansson. 
“Alone” he added. Johansson smiled.


***************************************************************






“What was that you wanted to tell me? “.The judge showed signs of irritation.

“I want to tell you a story. But don’t worry, will keep it short” and Johansson sat on the top of the table. Both were dozen meters apart.

“20 years back, on one fine day two handsome young men, rather two best friends proposed a beautiful young lady. The girl rejected one of them. This caused a fight between these men”.  He looked at the ceiling and sat on the wooden chair which was 10 feet away from the Judge. The room looked dark.

Judge shuffled his looks.

“3 years ago a gentleman by name Johansson Reeves was found in an elevator holding a blood stained knife and a dead lady. A dozen people stood witness of it. The man was charged with the case of murdering his wife, whom he loved the most. And now he is counting his last minutes after being sentenced to death”. His eyes moistened. His voice choked. A tinge of anger appeared in his eye.

Judge didn’t show any signs of emotion. Handcuffs on Johansson's hands were gleaming bright in the dull lit room.

Johansson narrowed his eyes and looked straight into the judge’s eyes, “Both of us know that I am innocent, my dear friend. Don’t we?” he asked.
Judge didn’t respond.

“Your silence is understandable. But I have this one final doubt.” And he waited for the judge to ask what the doubt is. The judge hung to his silence. 

“Fine ..!! If you don’t want to ask, then let me”. After a brief pause, “Will I get a pardon on my death sentence if I seek it from his highness, the chancellor Origiana?? Is it going to help if I narrate this story of mine revealing him the name of the actual killer??” he posed as if he was curious to know the answer.

Judge, for the first time showed up a lighter emotion. He smiled and replied.” Mr. Johansson!! As per the law and judicial directive, the convict who has been awarded the death sentence can seek pardon only twenty hours before he is hung. You are very late. You cannot escape my dear” and he laughed.

Both of them stayed silent for half a minute. The room still under dull lights looked even uglier. Both kept staring at each other.

In that case your highness, it takes a mere trick to break one’s hands free” said Johansson and raised his hands which were cuffed behind his back, up in the air. 

There was no sign of the handcuffs which were on his wrists moments ago. It had disappeared.
The judge looked in horror. He stood speechless. He started shaking in fear and tried to reach for his pistol. He couldn’t find it..!!

Johansson laughed and rose up from his chair. He took a deep breath and brought his hands in front of his face and said, “And it takes pure magic my dear friend, to make a weapon appear in one’s hand”. He smiled and waved his right hand in the air. From thin air, a pistol appeared in his hand. The pistol, Valessa .25 stood shining in his hand!! He aimed the pistol at the judge.

The judge couldn’t believe his eyes. What he saw appeared to be a pure magic. But the fear of death crawled all over his senses. His eyes widened, he gasped for breath. He opened his mouth to scream.

“Sorry Joh...” said Johansson and fired three rounds at the judge…!!!!


******************************************************************
THE END
******************************************************************
Questions for you:
·        Whose proposal did the lady accept? Former’s or latter’s?
·        Who made the magical proposal, Johansson or the Judge?
·        Is Clara Reeves the lady who was proposed in the earlier part of the story?
·        Did both of them know magic?
What you feel right, is what “you” feel is right…!!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ENVISAGE...!!!!

ENVISAGE....!!! Authors Note: This story is only for those who want to mess with their minds. Its a science fiction. It took me more than six months to write this story. My friend Archi Garg has tried her best as the proof reader. Thanks to her for bearing with my horrible grammar and bringing this to a good shape. The name of the locations, currencies, devices, terms and terminologies etc used in this story are purely a work of fiction. I do this to suit my convenience.  I have tried my best to give a logical explanation to everything I have proposed in this work of fiction. Any debate in this regard is welcome. Resemblance if found with any movie is purely co-incidental.!! Enjoy reading it and please share it if you like it...!! :) ************************************************************* “Do you want to sign the Contract?” asked Jerome. The Lift was at the 89 th floor and was slowly descending. Winton looked at Jerome and then at the Elev

Dew Drops

                             Episode 1   “oh…finally…its over” my dad exclaimed. I looked at his watch “ ooph …!!my goodness its 2p.m.”I added. chairs began to move & so did the restless gathering. It was the first day in the college & it was a (boring) welcome function to the  freshers. Jovial,funfilled and packed with mindblowing cultural acts ,it was exactly what the function wasn’t. It was a very dismal function with a series of boring speeches by princi, lecturers and some minister with an important portfolio, guess he was education minister (well one cant expect an excise minister in a academic function ,right?)..Few 2 nd year students showed that they were no less talented in delivering boring words by sharing their one year of experience in the college . “everyone is requested to please have  lunch before u leave” some girl announced & I gave a wide grin to my dad. he didn’t bother to react . I swore that I’ll take revenge for this sooner or later.

Not At First Sight (Episode 4)

Episode4 Havent read the third Episode Yet?? Jump to  Episode 3 I was cursing myself for what I had done yesterday. I had slapped her and left her all alone in the rain and then gone home. I hadn’t even turned back to see if she had been crying. But she must have cried. After all, she is a girl. Making a girl cry was the last thing that I had ever wanted to do in life. I had been feeling guilty from the moment I had gotten up this morning. All my anger had died off. For the first time in three months I took the company bus to go to office. It was obvious that Disha wouldn’t be offering me a free ride today. It was different, the journey to office today. While I stared out of the window, I felt that something was missing. Disha’s lame jokes, her courteous laughs at my poor jokes, strands of her hair dancing on my face while she rode her scooty, her inexperience at slowing down on speed breakers which always sent me flying a feet up in the air were not all that I was