Skip to main content

Not At First Sight..!! (Episode 5)


Havent read the Fourth Episode Yet?? Jump to Episode 4
Take me to the Episode 1

Episode 5

“What happened? Why are you so silent?” she asked.

I felt like telling her that I was in love with her. But from what I had seen, read and watched - I knew one thing for sure about most girls. If you propose to a girl with whom you are pretty close with, she would have a standard dialogue to say. ‘I have always treated you as my friend. A best friend!! Never in my dreams did I imagine that you would turn into this’. She may follow it up with either a disgusted look or she may start crying.


But I had also heard about some beautiful real life accounts and had also watched some really beautiful romantic movies where a girl would say something like this, ‘It took you long enough to propose to me. You can never imagine how long I have been waiting to hear this. Love you too, Idiot’ and the girl follows it up with either a hug, or a slap filled with love or, very rarely, a kiss. As they say, girls are difficult to understand and predict.

“Hello..!! What are you thinking of?” she said, putting a break to my thoughts.

“Nothing!” I said, smiled and continued, “The news that there is someone on this earth who has fallen for you amazed me”.

“Oh...” she paused , “Breaking news..!! The ugly, irritating, annoying, mindless, stupid, heartless and unkind lady, Disha, has a boyfriend. With cameraman Adinath, this is Disha reporting from Bangalore” she said, posing like a news reporter.

Yes..!!She was right..!! It was breaking news. The news had broken my heart.

I posed like a cameraman and she laughed. And then she tousled my hair again. 

Damn! Don’t do that. It’s making me crazy’ I felt like telling her.

“So what do you think? How will the meeting go?” she asked and smiled.

“I have no idea. But why does he want to meet me?” I asked.

“It’s late. Should I drop you home?” she asked. That was her sweet way of asking me to f*** off.

“Nah... It’s okay..!! It’s late. You should sleep” I said. We wished each other good night. I stood watching as she walked towards her flat.

******************************************************************

The first thing that I did after going to room was to dash into the bathroom. I badly needed a shower. I wanted to make my head lighter filled as it was with too many thoughts. I stood under the shower. As the cold water gushed onto my head I felt calm. With each drop that fell on my body, my heart felt an ease in emotions.

Now I was able to vent out my emotions. I couldn’t believe it, but I was crying under the shower like a girl. The more I cried, the more I felt relaxed. I looked at myself in the mirror. The moisture on the mirror veiled the reflection. I couldn’t make out if I looked happy now.

When you are in love, nothing comes at ease -neither love nor the ability to move on. The water stopped and the cold shower therapy came to a halt. I felt like one of those drug addicts who are deprived of their usual dose. The next moment the power went off and the bathroom went pitch black.



I felt like punching hard on the walls, pulling out the pipe lines, smashing the switchboard. I wasn’t sure why I was going mad. Was it because I was angry or because I was sad? But I was sure about one thing, all this madness had everything to do with Disha’s confession about her boyfriend. I was rising all smokes, because I was jealous and heart broken.

As per the definition provided by the scholars of love, a true lover is the one who sees to it that his girl is happy – irrespective of whether she is with you or not. But it was not the same with me.

I just hoped that he would keep her unhappy and then she would break up with him. I know I was not going by the definition of the ‘true lover’, but I didn’t want a certificate which certifies it. I just wanted Disha. I felt like crying again. But Bollywood movies claim that it’s only females who cry under shower. I held back my tears.

For the next one minute I stood under the shower doing nothing but staring into the darkness. Then I started thinking what kind of a person her boyfriend may be. When you discover that the girl whom you are in love with has a boyfriend, you start picturing him to be someone who is the world’s most horrible personality in all senses- looks wise, character wise and money wise.

He should be either very tall or very short, I wished. So that one day Disha would break up with him saying that they didn’t make a good pair. He should be either bald or should have grey hair. So that he looks too old for her. He should have dense facial hairs or should have scars making him look like a crook, so Disha’s parents would straightaway say no to him. The time was one clock in the night and there were no signs of power and water. I was still standing under the shower.

I wished that he would slap me the next day and that I could stay calm and quiet. So that Disha would break up with him straightaway for being rude and, instead, fall in love with me because I stayed calm and behaved like a gentleman. He should be an alcoholic who gets sloshed in parties, which would eventually lead to their break up.

I pictured him to be some terrorist or a foreign nation’s spy hiding his true identity. I wished to expose his identity and become a hero in the nation’s eye and Disha’s.
I even pictured him to be a guy who doesn’t know how to ride a bike. He should not be better than me in any sense.

He should be illiterate and very poor. So that Disha’s parents would deny him her hand. Or he should be the richest of rich, so that his parents would make him marry the daughter of some rich business tycoon. I was drowsy, still standing under the shower thinking about him. I couldn’t believe it, but yes, I was dreaming about him.
My weird imaginations went on and on.

******************************************************************

Next morning I woke up to find myself on my bed. I couldn’t remember coming out of the bathroom and lying on the bed. Quickly, I got myself ready.

It was one such day where I spent almost twenty minutes on choosing what to wear. I tried on some six shirts, five denims and finally decided to go with the red Avengers T-shirt and blue denims. I carried my shades.

 I spent another fifteen minutes dressing my hair. I applied hair gel thrice and washed them off an equal number of times. Finally I settled on one hair style. After thinking for five minutes whether to shave or not, I finally decided to shave.

I was possibly the world’s first straight guy who was spending so much time on his looks for meeting a guy. But I had to make sure that I looked good in front of him. I checked my wallet and I felt satisfied with its fat belly.

When I got down I saw Disha at the gate. I had expected her to dress for the occasion. But she was in her usual attire. I looked overdressed. I slowed down. I was feeling embarrassed.

“Oye..!!What’s wrong?? Coming to office or going out for a party?” she asked me. I think she was trying to control her laughter. I didn’t want her to know that all this dressing had everything to do with the meeting I was to have with her boyfriend.

“So at what time is Rohan coming?” I asked and sat behind her. She started her vehicle and it started moving.

“So you are dressed for that, is it?” she asked. I guess she was trying to look at my expressions in the side mirror. I could easily see that she was laughing.

“Nope..!! I have a party to attend at seven o clock. So I was trying to figure out a feasible time for the meeting. That’s all”, I lied.

“Oh I see..!! He will be coming at five thirty.” she said.

“Okay” I said.
*******************************************************************

“Oh Adinath..!! Looking great..!! ” said Anish. He had entered the office lift and behind him entered three more colleagues. Disha was trying hard to suppress her laughter. But Anish and the other colleagues were shamelessly laughing. I felt like punching him on the nose. But he was all muscular, hence I stayed silent. We were on the ground floor and I had to bear them for nine more floors. I checked my reflection in the mirrored walls of the lift. Am I looking that weird, I wondered. Disha was still trying to control her laughter.

“Actually I had gone out to a clinic. Was not feeling well, but then my manager called me up and asked me to drop in urgently. So I had to rush to office in the same clothes” I lied.

Disha looked at my back. What on earth was she checking? I tried to cover my rear. I made a gesture to ask what she was trying to do.

She whispered in my ears, “Liar Liar..!! Pants on fire...!” and, again, suppressed her laughter. I got even more embarrassed.

The colleague who was standing next to Disha heard her and grinned. I felt like commenting on his tobacco stained teeth which looked out of place for an IT employee, but I restrained myself.

I felt very odd walking through the office. As I passed by each desk, I felt that the person sitting there was laughing at me. There are moments in everyone’s life where he or she knows that people are not laughing at them but still he or she forces oneself into believing so.


The day continued to be a forgettable one for me, for it was I was feeling uncomfortable throughout the day. I had to interact with a customer that day and had to discuss the customization that he wanted in the product. He was a very senior guy from an established firm. The two hour long one to one meeting with him was more like an ordeal. He looked forty and was wearing business formals that looked great. I couldn’t figure out which brand of watch he was wearing, but it looked expensive. I was being cautious with my glances.

Every two minutes I looked at the reflection of both of us that was faintly seen on the glass door and convinced myself that I was not looking out of place in front of him.

By the time I came out of the meeting room, I had almost forgotten about the meeting with Rohan. Disha was standing outside the meeting room. She smiled and said, “He is here”. I felt like saying ‘So what am I supposed to do? Ask him to come and meet me’. But even I wanted to meet him. You will always be curious to know about the guy whom your crush is in a relationship with. Because you would want to see how special that person is compared to you.

As I entered the lift I recalled my weird imaginations about him. I kept my fingers crossed.


************************************************************

“Hi..!! Rohan” he smiled. That’s the last thing I expected from him. ‘Are you nuts? You dumbass!!, I have slapped your girlfriend. You are not supposed to smile, instead you are supposed to take me into task’, I felt like reminding him.

“Hi..!!! Adi”, I smiled back forcefully. I even extended my hand out. We shook hands.
Nothing about him matched my imagination. He was handsome, well built. He had nice thick hair and a hairstyle which was in trend. He was handsomely dressed. Above all he looked wealthy and sounded like a gentleman. In other words, he appeared flawless, though it may not be the right word to describe him. I looked at Disha, she was shamelessly staring at and admiring him. Of course, she had every right to do so, but she could have extended the same courtesy towards me as well. She was not even looking at me. I felt jealous.

“Can we have something? Shall we sit in cafeteria?” he asked.

Shittt..!!! This was something I was supposed to do. Why on the earth didn’t I think of it before him? He was outscoring me even in the ‘gentleman’ aspect. ‘Dude..!! It’s me who is supposed to be a gentleman and you are supposed to sound rude. Only then Disha will breakup with you and I will be able to impress her’ I thought of making a gentle request.

“Adi..!! You are lost”, Disha yelled. Finally she spoke. I got a conclusive proof of my existence. Before I could respond Rohan jumped in, “Oh.. Disha..!! Don’t worry. He is not lost. I found him. Look he is here” saying so, he held me by my shoulders. Disha laughed and said “Oh my god..!! You will never stop being funny”. What has happened to Disha, I wondered. There wasn’t even a gram of humour in it. A person who is in love feels that even snore of his or her love was musical.

 And then she looked at me and said “Adi..!! You feel that I have the best sense humor of all, right...! You should listen to Rohan. He cracks awesome jokes”. And she started laughing again.

‘Oh.. Please…!! When did I say that you have the best sense of humor..!!Can you help me recall..!! Even if I had said so, were you that dumb to overlook the sarcasm’ I felt like correcting her. “Oh..!! Yeah..!! That was a good one Rohan. Disha..!! Now I know where you get your great sense of humor from” I faked a compliment.

 We occupied the table in front of the ‘Burger Boss’ counter. He went to buy us burgers. “Rohan is a nice guy Adi..!! Just like you” said Disha. I nodded in false agreement and faked a smile.

“Actually he is the best. I shouldn’t have broken up with him” she added. Now, what was ‘he is the best’ supposed to mean? That I am the worst?? And that he is way better than me?? Or was she was trying to tell me that by mistake she had told me that he was like me?

“Stop worrying..!! Now everything is fine, right? And by the way, you both look great together” I said, hiding my jealousy and disappointment.

I was still not sure why he intended to meet me. On top of it, he was being nice to me. He was buying us fat, jumbo burgers as well. I doubted whether all that treatment was something similar to the royal treatment given to animals in remote villages, before slaying them in front of a particular goddess.

Before I could ask her again why he intended to meet me, Rohan came back with two trays of fat burgers. “Here you go” he said and kept the trays on the table.

We slowly started eating. The conversation slowly picked up. He was going on and on. Even Disha started narrating her antics that had landed me in embarrassing situations. I was made a laughing stock.

Rohan even started narrating their love story, which both of them believed was the most romantic love story ever. Both Disha and Rohan are from the same place but from different schools and colleges. They met each other for the first time during a kickboxing competition. That was two years ago. Both were in their second year of engineering in the city of Chandigarh but in different colleges.

That day, Disha was taking part in the twenty fifth match of her life. Till that day Disha had never won a match. Disha’s opponent happened to be Rohan’s ex-girlfriend. Rohan somehow wanted to show his ex-girlfriend down. He had gone straight to Disha and wished her all the best. He even held a huge placard to cheer Disha. For the first time in her life someone had actually cheered for her during her match.

She went on to win the match. She was delighted and she believed that Rohan was her lucky charm. Hence she insisted that he should join her in all her matches. Though she never managed to pull off a win after that day, she never stopped believing that Rohan was her lucky charm. He used to turn up for every match of theirs. And they started dating. One day Disha broke down in the ring after losing the match. That was the day he proposed her.




“How did he propose?” I asked Disha. I felt that they wanted me to ask that question. And hence I did.
“Well..!! I was crying in the ring. He came up to the ring and grabbed a microphone. There were about five hundred spectators. He proposed by saying something like this”, she paused to mimic Rohan’s tone.

She continued, “What if you lost the match. You have won my heart. I don’t have a ring with me now to propose to you. But I hope proposing in the boxing ring will make up for it. Disha, I am in love with you. Now and forever” she laughed. “That was very romantic” she added and she blushed. Even Rohan started blushing -shamelessly. ‘Did you kiss?’ I wanted to ask.

“Oh... Yes..!! Yes..!! It’s very romantic. That was very romantic of you Rohan”, I added. God..!! When will I stop lying to impress people, I asked myself.

 The conversation continued. I couldn’t manage to pull out one good reason as to why Disha should break up with him. I could manage to settle upon only one reason- I loved her.

He was very rich and his Dad was a rich businessman and owned a restaurant chain in Mumbai. Given that they were very rich, I wanted to know if his parents were okay with their marriage. That was my last resort. I hoped that his parents were orthodox and with old mindset.

“Hey Rohan..!! But will your parents be okay with you two getting married? You know what if they are not okay with love marriages?” I asked, excitedly. I felt that I sounded a bit negative so added, “You know if any problem arises I will be there to help you both, on any day”.

Disha looked not interested in answering and was busying drinking coke. Rohan wiped his mouth with tissue and said “Thanks..!! But you know what? My parents already know about our relationship. In fact they want to meet Disha at the earliest”.

I didn’t feel like eating anymore after hearing that. I gave up all my hopes about her at one go. I was getting terribly depressed. But every thirty seconds, they were cracking jokes and forcing me to laugh. I was trying to control my tears, depression and anger.

“You know what..!! I expected you to beat me up after getting to know that I had slapped Disha. I thought that is why you wanted to meet me. But you are being nice to me”. Yes..!! He was being nice to me. No matter how much I was jealous of him and no matter how much I hated him, I had to admit one thing - he was a gentleman. And Disha was lucky to have him. But the heart always consoles you by coming up with weird theories. It said ‘She is unlucky..!! Because she is not with you. You are the right one for her. Don’t give up hope. One day she will be lucky. And that’s the day when she will be all yours’.

“Well! I shouldn’t say this. But it’s because of your slap that we are back together. We had broken up because I had slapped her once for some reason. The day you slapped her, she was very depressed. She was feeling very lonely.” He looked at Disha. She placed her hand on his. He held it firmly and smiled. I felt very uncomfortable.

He continued, “And she called me and started crying. Finally, after a year, she was speaking to me. This was because of you. I felt I should thank you for helping us come together once again and for keeping Disha happy all this while. Thank you” and smiled. For the first time Disha looked at me with gratitude.

I had nothing to say. My eyes were red. One wrong move of mine and they were together now. If I had not slapped Disha, someday I could have held her hands like Rohan was holding now. All that I could do was repent my one wrong move. When I used to see posts on social networking sites which said ‘Wish LIFE had an undo button’, I used to smirk and used to refer to it as spam.

But now I was seriously wishing for that ‘UNDO’ button. That one button which could help me go back in time and correct our mistakes. But life is neither courteous nor generous. My heart was heavy. Yet, I had to smile.
-To be continued……

[Message from the author:
Favor Sought..!!
If this is the first episode that you are reading, then reading this itself is a favor that you have done.
But if you have been following all the episodes, then..
Please share the post on your FACEBOOK profiles and help me widen my "Reader base" :)]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ENVISAGE...!!!!

ENVISAGE....!!! Authors Note: This story is only for those who want to mess with their minds. Its a science fiction. It took me more than six months to write this story. My friend Archi Garg has tried her best as the proof reader. Thanks to her for bearing with my horrible grammar and bringing this to a good shape. The name of the locations, currencies, devices, terms and terminologies etc used in this story are purely a work of fiction. I do this to suit my convenience.  I have tried my best to give a logical explanation to everything I have proposed in this work of fiction. Any debate in this regard is welcome. Resemblance if found with any movie is purely co-incidental.!! Enjoy reading it and please share it if you like it...!! :) ************************************************************* “Do you want to sign the Contract?” asked Jerome. The Lift was at the 89 th floor and was slowly descending. Winton looked at Jerome and then at the Elev

Dew Drops

                             Episode 1   “oh…finally…its over” my dad exclaimed. I looked at his watch “ ooph …!!my goodness its 2p.m.”I added. chairs began to move & so did the restless gathering. It was the first day in the college & it was a (boring) welcome function to the  freshers. Jovial,funfilled and packed with mindblowing cultural acts ,it was exactly what the function wasn’t. It was a very dismal function with a series of boring speeches by princi, lecturers and some minister with an important portfolio, guess he was education minister (well one cant expect an excise minister in a academic function ,right?)..Few 2 nd year students showed that they were no less talented in delivering boring words by sharing their one year of experience in the college . “everyone is requested to please have  lunch before u leave” some girl announced & I gave a wide grin to my dad. he didn’t bother to react . I swore that I’ll take revenge for this sooner or later.

Not At First Sight (Episode 4)

Episode4 Havent read the third Episode Yet?? Jump to  Episode 3 I was cursing myself for what I had done yesterday. I had slapped her and left her all alone in the rain and then gone home. I hadn’t even turned back to see if she had been crying. But she must have cried. After all, she is a girl. Making a girl cry was the last thing that I had ever wanted to do in life. I had been feeling guilty from the moment I had gotten up this morning. All my anger had died off. For the first time in three months I took the company bus to go to office. It was obvious that Disha wouldn’t be offering me a free ride today. It was different, the journey to office today. While I stared out of the window, I felt that something was missing. Disha’s lame jokes, her courteous laughs at my poor jokes, strands of her hair dancing on my face while she rode her scooty, her inexperience at slowing down on speed breakers which always sent me flying a feet up in the air were not all that I was